Forest Reserves in Uganda – Ecotourism Forest Reserves in Uganda
There are many forest reserves in Uganda which are homes to several animal, bird and plant species that act as a basis for ecotourism. The beautiful forests serves for eternity facilitate the various tourism activities in Uganda ranging from primate watch safaris, birding, nature tours, insects as well as uncountable plant species among others.
Mammals like gorillas, chimpanzees, golden monkeys, baboons, vervet monkeys, mangabeys, black and white colubus moneys and more primate species are largely found in forests. Besides the animal trekking activities in most forests, there also nature walks, canopy sky way, biking, cultural and research tourism plus forest biking among others
These forest reserves in Uganda also harbor wildlife especially Budongo which is so far one of the best places for wildlife safaris and Chimpanzee trekking tours in Uganda. Mpanga and Kalinzu are also common except for the others that exist but are less visited by tourists. However, over the years, the National Forestry Authority has been putting in endless efforts to market these ecotourism sites in Uganda / forest reserves in Uganda and promote them the more so that they boost revenue in the Uganda tourism industry.
The forest reserves in Uganda include:-
- Mabira Forest,
- Kalinzu Central Forest Reserves,
- Budongo Central Forest Reserve,
- Maramagambo Forest,
- Zika Forest,
- Kitechura Central Forest Reserve,
- Kagombe Central Forest Reserve
- Mpanga Central Forest Reserve.
- Bunjazi Central Forest Reserves,
- Lutoboka and Bunjazi Forest Reserves,
- Bugoma Central Forest Reserve
- Kasyoha Kitomi Central Forest Reserve
- Wambabya Central Forest Reserve
- There are known forests also doubling as parks which include Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Mgahinga Gorilla Forest National Park and Kibale National Park. These forest are known prominently as habitats for mountains gorillas in Uganda and chimpanzees respectively.