Chimpanzee Habituation Experience vs Chimpanzee Trekking
Chimpanzee Habituation Experience vs Chimpanzee Trekking are two terms that are all about visiting chimps but differ on how each of the concepts is executed.
Chimpanzee habituation is the process of training chimps to get used to human presence and be available for tracking by visitors.
Chimpanzee trekking is the activity of walking through the forests search of these primates in their jungle habitats. The process lasts between 2-5 hours depending on the location of the chimps, Upon finding them, tourists are limited to be in the presence of the endangered primates for only one hour.
Habituation is the process of gradually introducing chimpanzees to human being to be more comfortable with people presence. In time, these groups of chimp can be tracked as part of a standard chimpanzee trek. The habituation process also gives the rangers a chance to learn more about the chimpanzee’s behavior.
You should note for both concepts chimpanzee trekking rules and regulations apply to all the visitors.
Chimpanzee Habituation Experience
- Its a full day activity
- Visitors spend 6 hours or more with chimpanzees
- Chimpanzee habituation permit is at USD 250
- Done with a few gazetted places including Kibale and Budongo forest
- Chimpanzee habituation experience is limited to 4 people
- Its a short activity
- Visitors spend one hour with chimps upon meeting them
- Chimp trekking is cheaper as permit is at USD 150 Kibale forest and lower with other destinantions like Kyabura gore and Budongo forest.
- Involves hiking in search of chimps in the forest
- Done in more chimp destinations in Uganda
- Chimp trekking is limited to 8 people for group